Wednesday 23 June 2010

Guacamole Obsessed

I will be the first to tell you that I have a mild...okay, moderate... obsession with guacamole. I'm not sure how it first started, but I know that every time I visit Whole Foods, I drop a pretty penny on their guacamole.

Yesterday's trip to WF started like any other, but while reaching up for the guac, I stopped short. A crazy idea popped into my head: why don't I make some guacamole. I haven't made guacamole since middle school Living Arts class (aka Home Ec.) with Mrs. Gruber. If my memory of middle school serves me, making guacamole was a complicated process with a multitude of spices that must be in the perfect ratio in order to actually taste edible. I put my fears aside and whipped out my internet capable mobile phone and looked up a recipe...After all, I've matured a lot since middle school (I think) and I have much more cooking experience under my belt. This is what I came up with...

Guacamole

(Adapted from Whole9 and Martha Stewart)

Ingredients
  • 4 avocado
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
  • 1 garlic clove
  • Juice of two limes
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt





I sliced the avocados in half, peeled them and pitted them using a trick I picked up at a Mexican restaurant where they make guacamole in front of you. You pierce the pit with the sharp side of a knife, and then wiggle it back and forth until it comes out. When I first saw our waiter do this I was intrigued, but maybe everyone does it this way...

I mashed all four avocados with a fork and added the lime juice. Four avocados makes a boatload of guacamole FYI.

Then I added the rest of the spices and the cilantro and broke into a new container of Whole Foods Plantain Chips-- another WF item for which I have strong feelings.



The guacamole turned out really well. The recipe was simple (unlike the one I followed in middle school), and it actually tasted like restaurant guacamole! Next time, I think I'll add some tomato and a little bit of red onion to jazz it up a bit. If you're thinking of adding tomato to your guac, make sure you de-seed it first: the slimy tomato seeds can change the color and consistency of the mole.

Anyone else guacamole obsessed?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I think we have the same stomach.

    My simple guac trick is

    avocado
    splash of store-bought salsa (add a bit of tomato as well as the right spices)
    lime
    salt

    voila!

    ReplyDelete