Wednesday 9 June 2010

Lazy Paleo Cookies

I call the following endeavor "Lazy Paleo Cookies" for the following reasons:
  1. I used a vegan recipe from Eat Me Delicious, but replaced some ingredients I didn't have with ingredients I did have, because I was too lazy to go grocery shopping.
  2. The cookies are not really "paleo" cookies, because they have maple syrup and honey in them...which are better than regular, white sugar, but some paleo sticklers will say that any sweetener is no good.
  3. The finished product was not actually a "cookie" per se...mostly because I was too lazy to grind my almond flour fine enough...
Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup almond meal
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp almond milk
  • 1 tsp raw honey
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
I mixed all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and stirred to combine.

My coarsely ground almond flour



The rest of the ingredients went into another bowl. The recipe called for flax meal, but when I tried to grind my flax seeds, they just kind of spun around in the food processor...and I was lazy, so I just added some kinda-broken-flax seeds to the mix.

I combined the wet and dry ingredients and stirred until they were just barely mixed together...


Plopped about 1 Tbsp of "batter" onto an ungreased cookie sheet and cooked for 10 minutes at
350.


The result was more of a granola than a cookie. I have a feeling that the cookies crumbled because the almond flour was too coarse, and because there was no flax meal. The next time I attempt this recipe, I will make sure to be diligent with my almond flour, and maybe add an egg to keep everything together. Granola is fine. Granola is great! Something for M to put on his oatmeals in the morning.

Have you ever had a recipe turn out differently than you...err....expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment