Monday 30 August 2010

Carrot Cake Breakfast Treat

My new favorite breakfast item is in the form of a delicious Oh She Glows Carrot Cake Scuffin. Of course, I doctored the recipe to make it paleo friendly, and the results were, I dare say, amazing.

Paleo Carrot Cake Scuffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking power
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1.5 cups shredded or grated carrots
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
I combined the dry ingredients and then neglected to follow the rest of Angela's well laid out instructions...mostly because I was being a little bit lazy. Everything turned out okay in the end.

I shredded the carrots,

and combined everything in one bowl. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup oats, but I replaced these with shredded coconut to give the scuffins a less soupy consistency. I also reduced the maple syrup from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup for less sweetness.

I scooped six scuffins on to parchment paper.



I topped them with shredded coconut and baked at 350 for about 25 minutes.

mmMMMmmm...carrots.

We prepared a Saturday morning breakfeast:

Scuffins, scrambled eggs and tiny plums with neon insides


We ate outside in the sun.

Chester wanted some. He didn't get any.

No comments:

Post a Comment