Thursday 12 August 2010

The Mid-August Slump

Remember that time I didn't write for a while because I was on vacation? Well, this is different. I'm in a slump. I haven't felt like cooking anything more complicated than a turkey burger or scrambled egg in about a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm still eating stuff...just not being creative and not sharing things because I don't want you to see how lame I am right now in terms of food.

Yes, people: it's almost September. For me, this means that school will be starting soon and my job will be picking up as faculty and students come back to Beantown. I see this as a good and bad thing. Good because I'll have more stuff to do so the days will go quicker, bad because I'll have more stuff to do aka actually have to do my job, which I'm not liking so much at the moment. (Source)

Anyway. To beat my Mid-August Slump into submission, I've been focusing extra hard on my workouts these days. I've been using heavier weights than I would usually and working more on skills that I usually do (I concurred the pistol for reals, yo). When I'm in the adrenaline-ized workout zone, I can pretend that I don't have a job and that all I do all day long is read, eat cookies and hang out with my awesome bf and the coolest puppy around. Working out is a mental escape.

I'm especially proud of the workout we did yesterday:

Workout We Did Yesterday (Modified from Crossfit Football)

The Warm-up:

Trunk twists
Arm Swings
Leg Swings
Other stuff
3 minutes jump rope (including 1 min double unders)

The Workout: AMRAP in 12 minutes

10 Thrusters @ 65lbs
200m run

The Results:
5 rounds, + 2 thrusters

I've never attempted to do 65lb thrusters in a workout before, let alone 52 of them. I was SO spent when those 12 minutes were up, but it was the best kind of spent there is: the smiley, sweaty kind. I wish the 200m runs had been faster. I have a complex about running since Lil'Nic, worked out with us*, but I'm working on it.

I'm making a promise to myself that I'll get back in the blogging groove next week. Don't get me wrong: I'm still eating in my usual way, I've just been way less creative this week...but Monday is a new day.

How have your workouts been lately? Any awesome accomplishments to share?

* Lil'Nic, aka my sister, joined us for her first Crossfit workout a few weeks ago. Let me first say that she was an NCAA Division I middle distance runner. Our workout was sandwiched between two 200m runs. I went first, being the cool, big sister that I am. Apparently, while I was out on my first 200m, Lil'Nic asked "where is she? Is she okay?" Meanwhile, I was running...as fast as I thought was appropriate...which, for me, was fast. Needless to say, I now have a complex about my running (even though I too used to be a college XC and track athlete). I'm working on it.





1 comment:

  1. ah, don't feel bad about not taking pictures of food. I know you jsut read my post, but I plan on eating whatever the heck I want to...boring or not..and not feeling bad about it one bit!

    ReplyDelete